Monday, December 8, 2008

Lets be Practical

Yesterday, I was reading the New York Times and they had articles about ski resorts, hotels and spas, new lifts and gondolas, resort food, events and most of all, the airline fees and prices to get you to these fabulous vacation spots. As if planning a ski or snowboarding trip wasn't expensive enough, now the airlines are charging even more for an extra bag or any bag over a certain weight. Last winter, when I was traveling from Tahoe to Vermont regularly, I was not charged for my bulky snowboard bag that I would stuff my boots, stinky socks and outerwear into. This winter, things have changed!
American, Continental, Frontier, Northwest, United and US Airways have started charging coach passengers $15 to check the 1st bag one way and then an additional $25 for the 2nd bag! What! It would be a dream if one going on a ski vacation could pack everything into one bag but alas, no dice. Think of all the layering pieces, the gloves, the outerwear, the socks, the toiletries, the cute apres outfit every ski bunny needs PLUS footwear! This will all add up to a hefty pound amount that you could get charged even more for.
Some resorts understand this will turn away potential customers so they are offering deals. The New York Times says, "Kimpton Hotels, including the Sky Hotel in Aspen, Colo., and the Hotel Monaco in Salt Lake City, is offering up to $25 in credit to guests with proof of payment for a second checked bag. Crested Butte Mountain Resort is offering up to $30 in baggage credit to travelers who book a ski vacation at www.skicb.com. And Vail Resorts, which operates the Vail and Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone Resorts in Colorado and Heavenly in the Lake Tahoe area of California and Nevada, is offering unlimited ski or snowboard rentals for the season for $359 a person."
So, don't pack a bag that's over 50lbs because it can cost you an additional $50 charge. Be smart. Look on-line for deals and try to pack light. If you come across any sweet deals please send 'em this way! With the economy already bringing us down, a ski vacation seems like an awesome getaway until you look at all of the additional rip offs the airlines have. Let's start shipping out luggage to where we are going to vacation! And you'll see me carrying my boots around the airport with me if it'll make my bag that much lighter and give me the possibility to fit it all into one... Okay, maybe I'm dreaming on only bringing one bag. But I still feel bad for you if you have to sit next to me with my snowboarding boots, they're what we call 'funky'. That'll show the airlines!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's unfair to charge for the 1st bag!